Monday, April 28, 2008

A matter of Perspective

Perspective is a cool thing, huh? I love this picture.

Last night at our SWAT team we wrestled with a passage that is definately difficult for me. James 1:2 says "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds." Say what????

The whole purpose of our SWAT teams is to figure out how to do what the Word of God says...so how do I condition myself to consider it joy when I face trials? The more I listened to my teammates around the room....it began to dawn on me.....in each case the things that caused them to grow the most in their faith were the trials they went through. We pray to grow closer to God....to learn how to depend on Him and then complain when we encounter circumstances that show us how much we need to depend on Him.

The book of Acts is full of stories of people who rejoice in trials....and their embrace of being counted worthy to suffer for the name of Jesus continually advances the gospel to new areas of the world. Incredible! The only difference between them and me.....perspective. If I learn to trust God and know that He has a plan for me to mature me....I can rejoice in everything I face...knowing that He causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. (Romans 8:28).

No comments: