Sunday, July 13, 2008

Authentic Sinners



I heard this quote about Jesus that has kept me thinking for several days now. "He would rather hang around authentic sinners than fake saints." Now, you won't find that quote anywhere in the Bible, but I do think the life of Jesus bears it out. He was called the friend of sinners. His harshest criticisms was always for the "religious" pharisees.

As a youth pastor, I used to always caution my teens about the friends they hung out with. It's funny....this week I've felt like the Father has cautioned me the same thing....but flipped the meaning of it. It's easy in our culture...especially in the Bible belt to insulate ourselves from those who don't know Jesus instead of reaching out to them. It hit me as I was in a group last nigth that was praying for God to send us the masses so we could reach them for Jesus....that God's plan is different. He has already sent us to the masses...and we would rather they "come" than for us to "go" as we've been commanded.

So I'm going to be hanging out with some authentic sinners in the coming weeks. Hopefully...if all goes well.....maybe I'll be called a friend of sinners as well.

No comments: